Two Months Before your move
- Get moving quotes if you are planning on using a professional mover.
- If you need a rental truck for a "do-it-yourself-move," contact a rental company:
Atlas World Group
- Visually prepare or design a floor plan for your furniture in your new home.
- Create a list for inventory of your belongings. This is helpful in preparing a garage or moving sale.
- Keep all of your paperwork concerning the move in one file, so nothing is lost or misplaced.
- Transfer all school records for your children.
- Finalize your decision on a mover.
- If time permits, prepare your new home for arrival. (New paint, new locks, etc.)
- Consider your children in the move. Plan ahead and visit our Moving with Children Guide
One Month Before your move
- Change your address - you can do this online at the USPS.
- Change you address with the IRS - you can do this online
- Make any travel arrangements where you will need an airline, train, hotel, bus or car rental.
- Research the area into which you will be moving for clubs, civic organizations and churches, so that you can change your membership.
- Contact medical and dental offices to receive records, asking these professionals for referrals and continuing prescriptions.
- Establish a new checking account.
- Research local laws about home-based businesses and business licenses if you own or operate your own business.
- Make an inventory list of all of your belongings.
- Arrange for your pets to be transported.
- Use up or finish and discard household items so that there is less to pack and move.
Two Weeks Before your move
- Forward your magazines to your new address.
- Forward your newspaper to your new address.
- Forward your old email to your new email address.
- Contact all of your utilities and change your service to your new address.
- Organize those helping you on the day of the move.
- Confirm all travel reservations you have made.
- If moving appliances, make sure they are inspected before the move.
- Pack all clean clothing.
- Close your bank accounts, making sure you have ample cash for the move. The remainder of the funds should be transferred to your new bank.
- Keep important documents and valuables close at hand during the move.
- Prepare for the move of any infant or small children.
- Review your insurance policy for coverage during your move.
- Provide relatives with your travel information.
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator.
Moving Day Has Arrived!
- Do a final walk through of the home to make sure all of your belongings have been removed.
- Be sure to take control of all personal items that are valuable or important to you during the move.
- You may want to purchase travelers checks instead of cash during the move.
We have provided some informative links for you and your family that will make your transition, smooth.